Thursday, April 28, 2011

Thunderstorms and Lightning...

I was laying in bed this morning listening to the thunderstorm and I was remembering an old childhood memory.

When I was little, we lived in this two story house in Hummelstown on High Street. It was taller than most of the houses around us and so you had this great view of the sky from any bedroom window. Storms used to roll through a lot in the summer and Dad and I used to sit at the window on the second floor and watch the lightning crack across the sky.

I used to do the whole counting between the thunder and lightning to tell how far away it was. I would even pretend that I could control when the lightning flashed. (Imagine how excited I was when I found out there was a female super hero that could control storms!)

Dad would get out his Canon AE-11 and we would take pictures of the lightning stretching across the clouds. He taught me how to play with the different exposure times and shutter speeds and before you know it, I was a 7 year old photographer of lightning.

As I got older, Dad didn't have time to watch the storms with me. I would just shut myself in my room and open all the windows and feel the air blow through the room. That calm, tingly air right before the sky just opens up and goes crazy. I would lay on my bed and listen to the thunder and enjoy the breeze. I would sometimes get out the camera and take pics. Somewhere buried in a box of memories, I still have a photo album of all those pics I took.

I miss enjoying a good storm with someone who appreciates it as much as I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment